Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Kims Blog .... Robbie Burns 8k report


Kim's Blog
Ever wonder how exactly a normal well adjusted individual manages to not only put up with but actually encourage the crazy training and racing (stupidity) of someone who runs 100 milers. Well wonder no more, now you can read all about it. My better half has just started her blog where she will be talking about her own racing as well as crewing / babysitting / and kicking me in the ass. Hey did you notice how I managed to make her blog all about me? Thats the kind of crap she has to put up with around here.

Check it out and don't be afraid to become a follower. As you all know when you first start your blog it can be very lonely on the superhighway. Kim's Blog http://kmcpeake.blogspot.com/

Robbie Burns 8k Race Bitching I mean Report
Okay so I have decided to keep this brief because man I don't really want to talk about this thing at all. Remember in Rocky III when Mr. T beats the crap out of Rocky in the middle of the movie well that pretty much sums up my race day (and I was not Mr. T). I cant bring myself to revisit this thing in full color blow by blow descriptions so briefly here is the good and the bad.

The good - Longboat rented a bus again this year so we went down with the club. We had around 4o members running this year.
The bad - It was so cold outside that even with the heat cranked up on the bus it was freezing. I am talking see your breath freezing. I think I began having flash backs of the bus rides to junior highschool in Fredericton New Brunswick when I was a kid.
The good - Picked up race kit in a nice toasty school and got changed.
The bad - forgot my second layer I intended on bringing
The bad - during warm up realized my garmin was dead
The good - borrowed my friend Gregoires garmin. He decided not to race because of injury.
The good -started out slow and contained
The bad - finished slow and ugly

This was my 4th time running Robbie Burns and somewhat of a milestone race for me. It was 4 years ago that I ran Robbie Burns as my first officially timed road race. This was also my weakest effort. Before I get to much into that however I have to mention that I love this race. The Burlington Running Club know how to put on great races and they really make it about the runner. I have yet to run any race that they are in charge of that has not been excellent (unlike another racing organization that puts on races in Burlington who's name I shall not speak). I will be back at RB again next year. I mean its not their fault that I sucked in this race so badly.

Now I really would love to blame the cold, a lovely -27, for my poor showing but that would not be honest. I knew that I would be slower this year then last as I have been focused on base building and not doing very many hard runs. That means the speed is just not there but man I didnt think it would be this bad. How bad was it? I ran last years HM pace in an 8k and it nearly killed me. I was more then 2 minutes slower then last year. I went in figuring maybe a minute slower but more then 2, yikes. I was also blessed with a crippling side stitch for the last 1.5k which is a new one for me. I can count the number of times I have had a stitch in all my runs, ever, on one hand. I have to tell you its really hard to run fast when your in the fetal position.

This race also really drove home a point that I have been trying not to acknowledge but has become impossible to ignore. I can not train for long distance ultras and still expect to be able to run shorter road race distances at top speed. The reality is you just cant do both or at least I cant. Oh how I wish I was more of a genetic freak!

I have no plans to stop training for and running Ultras so that means that I am just going to have to accept that I will be slower on the road at least for now and that is going to be much easier said then done.

Kim had a great race taking almost a minute off of her 8k PB

I picture is worth a 1000 words, follow this link to see one unhappy camper. I think this captures my race perfectly


Oh ya final time for the 8k was 37:16

14 comments:

  1. Oh, wow...that's not a happy picture! Off to meet your better half. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a cold day so don't be too hard on yourself!! I liked the RB hair.. must dress up next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The geezer makes that picture even more special beyond the look on your face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aside from the fact that it was butt cold, you really don't look to be enjoying your run at all... ;-) I think those guys hide in spots and wait for the worst face you have made all day, and then take 10 pictures to make sure they get the worst one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I believe that picture says it all! Well kudos for toughing it out?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really feel for you - just having had one of THOSE races myself. Sometimes it's just a hard day at the office and finishing is a goal in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That picture of you is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to see Kim's on board!
    What can I say about that picture... racing in that condition is still better than being injured? Don't worry about it, buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, that is one sad race picture. I think you are right about training for distance effecting speed in shorter races. Sorry it wasnt a great race but you are still one speedy guy! I'll head over and check out Kim's blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. UGH sorry about your Garmin! That's annoying! Great job on the race, though!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think your better half is right, you are too hard on yourself! Sorry you didn't have a great race though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They can't all be good races! Good job finishing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You do look sad. But so does the fella in front of you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. When's the next post? The natives are getting restless, lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails